God is our refuge and our strength, a very present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1
Safe Harbor builds community and support around isolated families in crisis to help prevent abuse and maltreatment of children. Our goal is to lower the risk of children entering the child welfare system
Safe Harbor puts scripture into action by offering refuge and support to families caught unprotected in the storms of life.
A harbor can be described as a place to take shelter during a raging storm and to refresh and gather resources to become equipped for the long journey to a final destination.
Safe Harbor is designed to help families in crisis navigate through a difficult time in their lives. These difficulties may arise out of financial issues, homelessness, domestic abuse, health problems or addiction.
- Abuse cases in Kentucky are more than double the national average.
- In Feb. 2017 The Lexington Herald Leader, reported that cases of child abuse and neglect have increased 55% in Kentucky since 2012.
- The National Child Maltreatment Report for 2015 was released March 28, 2017. In that report, Kentucky ranked 2nd in the highest number of child abuse cases in the United States.
- In Kentucky the four leading factors that most often lead to child abuse and neglect are:
- Economic Hardship
- Parental drug or alcohol dependency
- Parental Incarceration
Common Community Struggles
Often parents or guardians calling our Hotline are struggling with one of the following:
- Lack of community or family support
- Social isolation
- Lack of education
- Medical/mental health challenges
- Domestic abuse
Provides a safe and caring environment for children while their parent/guardian work through their season of crisis.
• Allows for parents in crisis to focus on gaining stability
• Gives parents an opportunity to effectively deal with the crisis and reduce trauma and stress on children
• Offers a safe, stable environment for children to emotionally, physically and academically develop.
• Builds community around the family for continued support and growth.
• Offers opportunity for spiritual growth and development for Care Family as they actively put faith into action, caring for others
Helps a family in crisis to develop an individualized Care Plan and connects them to resources while acting as a mentor and friend.
- Work with the biological family to set goals and develop an individualized Care Plan.
- Connect parents with local resources
- Set a time to meet with the parents on a weekly basis.
- Encourage parents as they strive to reach their goals outlined in the Care Plan.
- Helps parents to recognize their strengths and to develop them to reach their goals.
- Provides encouragement, grace, companionship and Christian friendship.
Care Plan Manager
This role is vital to the success of the placement of a child/children with a Safe Harbor Family. They are also instrumental in the building of a healthy supportive relationship between the Parent/Guardian and the Care Coach that leads to the success in achieving the specific care plan goals.